Friday, January 4, 2013

Obligatory "The Hobbit" Movie Post

Who's influencing me at the moment: Gary Gygax, J.R.R. Tolkien, Peter Jackson, Shamus Young.

Well, I finally got out to see it.  Wasn't too shabby.  It didn't stick to the book all that well, but then again a movie director would have to be off his nuts to want to adapt that particular book straight into a movie.

My thoughts, in no particular order:


  • This is what the D&D movie would look like if someone modestly competent had their hands on the movie license.
  • I can't possibly imagine how stomach-churning it would be to watch the thing in 3D.  Seriously, I'd have to ask for a barf bag with my kooky glasses.
  • I can't wait to see the "DM of the Hobbit" web comic, whenever it comes out.
  • Gollum was absolutely incredible.  Worth the price of admission right there.
  • Why didn't the Gondolin blades always glow when orcs were near?  Sometimes they did, and sometimes they didn't.  I suspect perhaps they decided that some of the goblinoids were "orcs" and some were "goblins" and that the sword only glowed near goblins, but that doesn't follow the story and it also seems like it was inconsistently applied.
  • A lot of the animations looked like they were recycling some of the animation technology from Gollum.   The three trolls were particular offenders in this regard.  They didn't look nearly so sympathetic when they curled their lips and looked lost and lonely.
  • The movie's failure to mention the conditions of Thrain's death in Dol Guldur really felt like a missed opportunity on Peter Jackon's part.


Like most D&D/Tolkien fans, I liked the movie.  But even I felt it dragged in some places, and I can certainly see why some people who are not hardcore fantasy fans might choose to give it a low ranking.

No comments:

Post a Comment